Over the past 40 years I’ve worked all sides of the publishing desk: journalist, ghost-writer, author, editor, publisher. I have four novels, two collections of short fiction, and three non-fiction books in publication.
I co-edited with Susan MacGregor, Tesseracts Twenty-Two: Alchemy and Artifacts.
I’m also pleased to be a reviewer and editor at On Spec Magazine.
In the past I’ve filled the following positions:
- freelance journalist and columnist Orangeville Banner
- freelance journalist and assistant editor Orangeville Today
- freelance journalist The Canadian Author and Bookman
- freelance journalist and assistant editor Country Estate Magazine
- publisher and editor Five Rivers Publishing
As an editor, I’d be pleased to offer you the benefit of my publishing experience to assist you with the development and structure of your novel or book, or simply copy-editing services.
My rates run $50.00 per hour, depending on the complexity of your project. An average manuscript of about 80,000 words usually takes about 40 hours for a developmental edit, less for a copy-edit. Payment terms are negotiable.
I’m also available for virtual speaking and teaching engagements.
If you’re interested, email me a query outlining your needs, and from there we can discuss how to proceed.
In tandem with that, I’m an artist, primarily painting landscapes in watercolour, although I do venture into oils, ink, and pencil.
Apparently I also get my hands dirty in the garden.
- Readings: reading from my published work, discussion of the genesis of the story, research, discovering narrative voice, public input through questions and answers.
- Workshops: the craft of writing, publishing process
Writer in Residence Workshops
Designed to enhance understanding of writers' craft through group critique and discussion of work submitted by the workshop attendees. Every participant will receive a private, one-on-one session with Lorina Stephens.
Discussion of the importance of critical analysis while reading material:
- what message or theme is the author attempting to convey, and what are the influences
- analysis of writing style and the influences the author may have used
- comparative study of authors writing similar themes
- social impact of the work