Write is the Union's quarterly magazine available exclusively to our members.
This magazine is valued most for its presentation of news and views from writers' perspectives. It is filled with professional information, developments in the literary community, industry news, timely features, and valuable industry services.
To download a sneak peek of an issue, hover over the cover and click the title.
In this issue:
- TWUC, Disability, and Diversity (pg. 10)
- Open Source Investigation (pg. 17)
- Make Friends with your Inner Critic (pg. 21)
In this issue:
- 50 Years of TWUC
- TWUC Newsletters: The First Decade (pg. 10)
- Poet's Hill (pg. 27)
Plus, the 50th Anniversary crossword!
Cover illustration by Wenting Li
In this issue:
- Canadian Small Presses Weathering the Pandemic
- Is it Time to Rename the GGs?
- All About Sensitivity Readers
Plus, the debut of the Write crossword!
Cover illustration by Nora Kelly
In this issue:
- Writing and Disability: Finding What Works for You
- Become an Accessibility Champion
- The Ins and Outs of Options
- Writing in a Second Language
Cover illustration by Laurie M. Landry
Call to action title
Are you a member?
If you do not follow the guidelines below, your pitch may go unread. Write accepts electronic pitches from members and non-members alike who are Canadian citizens, newcomers, or permanent residents.
Please use the following format in the email subject line: "WRITE Magazine Pitch: [Your Name]"
When pitching an article, please include the following three (3) items in the body of the email:
- A brief description of the article that you want to write, a working title, lede, and approximate word count.
- Rationale: Why you think your article is timely and relevant to Write’s readership, and why you think you have a great perspective to offer.
- Short bio: In a few sentences, tell us who you are! Please also include your province/territory of residence.
Send your pitch to Write Editor Philip Moscovitch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Write contributors will be paid $0.25/word.
When to Submit Pitches
Write considers pitches year-round for publication in one of four quarterly issues. Articles are typically assigned three months before publication.
- Winter issue published in mid-February
- Spring issue published in mid-May
- Summer issue published in mid-August
- Fall issue published in mid-November
Notes on Unsolicited Articles and Calls for Pitches
Write magazine content is a mix of commissioned pieces and pitched articles that conform to a specific call for pitches. It is rare for an unsolicited article to be accepted to the magazine, but we do accept unsolicited pitches. Best practice is to watch for and respond to Write pitch calls with a succinct summary pitch. Do NOT submit a completed article as a pitch, as it won’t be read.
Please also note that pitch calls generate large numbers of pitches, and it is not possible for our team to respond to each one. We will only respond to pitches we feel will work for the issue at hand. If you have not heard back on a pitch within a month, you may wish to seek other outlets for your story.
Letters to the Editor
Write welcomes letters to the editor. Respectful, thoughtful, and cogent letters in direct response to the most recent issue will be considered for publication in the next issue.
Send your letter (150–300 words) and a short bio (max. 50 words) to Write Editor Philip Moscovitch at email@example.com. Write reserves the right to edit letters to the editor for length, clarity, and accuracy. You will be notified if your letter is selected for publication.
Members may submit announcements (100 words maximum) to be included in an upcoming issue. Find deadlines and submit your news here: portal.writersunion.ca/members-news-write (login required).
Write is distributed to more than 2,600 professional writers across the country. It's a specialized publication, which is good news for advertisers: Your message reaches a highly engaged readership. Place your ad today to reach this exclusive group of writers and industry insiders. To reserve space, please contact Carina Magazzeni at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|ISSUE||BOOKING DEADLINE||ARTWORK DUE||PUBLICATION|
|Winter||December 15||January 15||Mid February|
|Spring||February 20||March 15||Early May|
|Summer||May 20||June 15||Mid August|
|Fall||August 20||September 15||Early November|